- Where’s My Ghost Money? Qais Akbar Omar on what Afghanistan needed, and still needs: water, sewers, electricity.
- Small Private Colleges Lose More Students Despite Rise in Discounting. Despite some good news on the Liberal Arts, cannot neglect the expense pressures for tuition-driven institutions and financial aid policies.
- Woody Allen Extremely Busy Updating WoodyAllen.com. As much as I enjoy and embrace new opportunities for academic blogging and social media, this Onion spoof captures some of the realities of the new identities:
“I’d say in any given week, I spend about 40 percent of my time on my creative projects and the other 60 percent updating my site,” said Allen, explaining that while he “has a guy to help with the more technical stuff,” he updates the website himself and has even picked up some basic HTML and CSS coding.
- Carbon Dioxide Level Passes Long-Feared Milestone.
Scientific monitors reported that the gas had reached an average daily level that surpassed 400 parts per million–just an odometer moment in one sense, but also a sobering reminder that decades of efforts to bring human-produced emissions under control are faltering. The best available evidence suggests the amount of the gas in the air has not been this high for at least three million years, before humans evolved, and scientists believe the rise portends large changes in the climate and the level of the sea.
- As a follow-up to the Sustainable Investing: TIAA-CREF Social Choice, decided to put any non-TIAA-CREF investments into Pax World Global Women’s Equality Fund and Global Environmental Markets Fund.
- Call for Blog Posts – Anthropology on Immigration.
- “Blinging up Baby: The Importance of Consumption as Reproduction,” a talk by Sallie Han, Monday, May 13, 3:30pm at Hartwick College, Golisano Hall, room 323. Sponsored by the Women’s and Gender Studies program at Hartwick College. The talk is a preview of Han’s book, Pregnancy in Practice: Expectation and Experience in the Contemporary U.S., which will be published by Berghahn Books in July 2013.
the Local is Possible
Perception, imagination and engagement to create local possibilities. Work for people to restore local economy and reduce resource use. Human economy, education, food, policy. From Oneonta, New York: connecting to the world.